Here Together We Are Leading The Way - Helping Dogs All Around The World!

This is my personal blog site, and the "hub" for sharing experiences with you. Here I advocate Cesar Millan's philosophy and ways, sharing success with you all and in the community too! Here there are many tips from my own experiences leading a pack and as a professionaly qualified Behaviourist. Bonus - some extra special insight gained from working for Cesar Millan during the UK Live Tour 2010 as Dog Handler.

For more about my professional services, please do go over to my web site:

http://www.suziecrystaldogs.com/

WELCOME TO CRYSTALDOGS - WE ARE "ALWAYS DOGS FOR ALL DOGS"!

WELCOME TO CRYSTALDOGS - WE ARE "ALWAYS DOGS FOR ALL DOGS"!
It's a "Dog's Life" - 2 pack members swimming in the sea - Ava & PeterPan - "contented canines"!

Wednesday 30 April 2008

A Lesson Learned in "Doglish"!!

As a young teenager I just loved dogs, “No” correct that I adored dogs! I had my own dog “Whiskey” who was a Collie x Lab, my first dog who looking back taught me a great deal! This boy was my best friend and early on was conditioned to my hugs and kisses - my strange human ways!

A neighbour and friend owned a Chow, beautiful orange boy who always welcomed me when I was round to visit. One day I was there, sitting in the dining room attempting some Maths homework with my friend, who was in the kitchen sneaking biscuits or something in the vain hope it may help me understand Maths! The rest of the family were in the lounge, apart from the Chow, who came over to see me. I bent down over him looking him straight in the eye, starting talking to him and went to give him a hug - “OUCH” - he bit me on the face, pulling apart my lip. So after a trip to A&E, stitched up, I insisted nothing bad should happen to the dog, did not know why but had some vague notion it had been my fault!

A few weeks on I was hauled into the Head’s room at school. Worried about me and asking “why had I been seen hugging a dog while walking out in the country” - after such an incident they couldn’t believe I would do such a thing! My answer - very simple this had been my dog Whiskey - totally conditioned to my behaviour I knew he would not attack my actions!

So many years later, I now understand why this Chow attacked me, I was rudely approaching him, making direct eye contact, blowing air onto his face by talking, then went on to hug - so all meaning “unfriendly challenge” ! He had not been conditioned to hugs from me, he warned me and I ignored him so he followed-through and bit me!

My initial instincts to approach all dogs this way were wrong, my instinct that I was the trigger was correct! I learned a painful lesson and still have the scar to prove it, thankfully this did not have to be a sad and unnecessary end for the Chow.

What have my dogs taught me? Ignorance is not bliss, an explanation maybe but not an excuse, once we realise we don’t understand something we owe ourselves and others we share this planet with to find out - ask for help, do research WATCH "THE DOG WHISPERER"…whatever it takes!.

No comments: