Here Together We Are Leading The Way - Helping Dogs All Around The World!

This is my personal blog site, and the "hub" for sharing experiences with you. Here I advocate Cesar Millan's philosophy and ways, sharing success with you all and in the community too! Here there are many tips from my own experiences leading a pack and as a professionaly qualified Behaviourist. Bonus - some extra special insight gained from working for Cesar Millan during the UK Live Tour 2010 as Dog Handler.

For more about my professional services, please do go over to my web site:

http://www.suziecrystaldogs.com/

WELCOME TO CRYSTALDOGS - WE ARE "ALWAYS DOGS FOR ALL DOGS"!

WELCOME TO CRYSTALDOGS - WE ARE "ALWAYS DOGS FOR ALL DOGS"!
It's a "Dog's Life" - 2 pack members swimming in the sea - Ava & PeterPan - "contented canines"!

Thursday 10 April 2008

Exercise...walkies has a new meaning!

Exercise as part of the routine “exercise, discipline affection”, deserves an explanation so I’ll use my example!
I used to believe it was enough to get my dogs, out then off-lead for a charge around and the back, all as quickly as possible, more of a chore that had to be completed! Chaotic is understating it, leads tangled everywhere, dogs way out in front of me straining the leads to get free and run off, little control simply praying I did not meet other dogs! With my energy fast approaching intolerant and frustrated this was all... Wrong! Exercise in this context is about how we leave the house, how we conduct the walk and how we return.


To leave is always “human first” once my dog is “calm submissive” - quite a challenge with 5 eager Terriers who think they are going out to hunt! Then we walk, into migration mode we go - this is dog in “follower position” at my side or behind me. Lead loose only “poping” (tighten and release) to correct pulling or lagging behind. If continuing to pull, we stop and re-focus by getting my dog calm and off we go again!

We walk this way at the beginning, middle and end of the walk, with free-time in the middle - translates to running fast chasing sea birds for Dobey Max! We return again with my dog behind me into the house. Natural migration speeds for dogs vary, Peter’s is cycle pace - darn quick, so on a walk as I’m no runner he has to work hard to slow down, after about ten minutes he begins to move forward at my pace!!

This is how to create the Pack Leader/follower bond outside of the home, helps of course if your dog sees you as alpha inside the home first so if your having problems with the walk this way - check out how your dog truly views your status in the home! Picture the walk how you want it to be - if I were to dread it now or see as a chore my dogs will surely play up! I look forward to them, geting in the “enjoy it” mindset even if it’s a sea storm out there! Other forms of exercise are good but should not replace the walk, as they do not achieve the same thing.


Exercise in this routine is about establishing your relationship with you dog, draining energy before attempting discipline which is particularly important with rehabilitation, yet great for teaching all dogs.
So guess what - affection isn’t human style only either! Yes- next post!

So what have my dogs taught me? To stay calm even when faced with the frustration of over-excited, pulling dogs, it works when I work it!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to ask if your dogs are spayed/neuetered as practce is common in usa?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Greetings from Holyhead!!! We have just had the world's foremost event for dogs - the very famous Ucheldre Centre's 'Doggy Fun Day'. I thought that I would expand, further, the interest in your blog to Holyhead...Hilary told me about the Crystal Dogblog. One question - maybe you know the 'answer'...I am a keen runner and it is sometimes a problem when I need to run past a dog. I really do try to create as much distance as possible (okay! That movement in itself begins to create some kind of psychological 'bantering' :). Sometimes, I just stop, while they go on past. I really do love dogs (Collie-Crosses are my favourite), but I don't think some of them like me when I run...It might shave a few seconds off my time if I don't need to stop!!! Also, my job - Countryside Warden - based at the foot of Holyhead Mountain - involves seeing a lot of dogs. I try to get to know them when they are pups...it might stop them biting me when they are older. The running comment is the main 'thing', though. Cheers, and all the best with the blog. Will Stewart.
P.s., do you have anything on 'Facebook'...a group?....I have, just recently, discovered (and joined) 'Facebook'?